Friday, November 7, 2008

panel and reception night








The panel and reception went great. The previous post was my take on it after having drank a bit of gallery wine- it is important information though.

The panel was moderated by Caroline Cook Juhlin who works in the Portfolio Center to bring students together with industry people. As a photographer and former photo rep, she knows everyone and is really good at getting people in to talk to students. Steve Munro is an artist's rep from the firm Munro Campagna. He had a great take on how artists should go about getting a rep and getting work. John Hendrix was there for it, he gave some really insightful info (companies wanting rights to media not yet invented?!). Liz Miller-Gershfeld is the Head Art Buyer at Energy BBDO and was great to meet. She really came across as someone who is inundated with mailers and promos all day and yet still cares and still wants to comb through and see everyone's work. Dan Bruce is a Group Creative Director and only hires art directors who can draw (which I thought was refreshing!). He also stressed that he is not the target for illustration mailings and promos as he has zero time to look at them or space for them. The consensus seemed to be to have a strong portfolio, send mailers to art buyers and have a strong online presence. Good info. We recorded it- both the audio and video, and will start to work on getting it online either through here, the Portfolio Center or perhaps youtube (?) I'll update this w/ the location of the video once it's up.

The reception went good as well. The weather (rainy and crap) put a bit of a damper on the attendance, but particularly earlier on it was a good crowd. At the very end of the night a class came in (applied drawing) that was SO interested in the work and so appreciative of seeing that everything is perfect and in its final stage on the walls and was all done by hand with no digi tools :)

John attended the reception as well and had the best time of his life (this is just my inference- but I'm pretty sure that was the case). His lovely wife and future baby came to the party as well (seen here). I was really glad that they could make the drive from St. Louis in and that the students and attendees got a chance to meet him and talk shop.

I had a great time. I'm happy to have done the show (despite any conclusions you may have drawn from last week's posts). It may be a bit on the selfish side, but I've gotten a lot out of it :) Hopefully other peoples do too!

2 comments:

Momma said...

Congratulations to my wonderfully talented daughter.It was a lot of work,but you pulled it off. I had no doubt in my mind. I'm so very proud of you.That's my girl!

Love
Momma xoxoxoxo

John Hendrix said...

Thanks again Nancy, great show...
and yes, it was the best night of my life.

The drive home was uneventful and we filled the car up with IKEA tealights and meatballs.